Black Friday sales are upon us, aka that time of the year where our inboxes get absolutely flooded with the shiniest, prettiest things at a fraction of their usual prices. You’d have to have Hermione Granger’s wizardy powers to be able to resist the allure of it all.
There’s good reason to avoid the pressure of the purchase, with Aussies expected to spend $5.4 billion this weekend alone, with a whopping 80% of goods purchased likely to end up in landfill. Ick.
Luckily TWOOBS is your safe haven (just call us Hogwarts!), because we don’t do discounts. And while we’d love to see other brands following suit, we know that some still have a while to go to get there. So if you don’t have a magic wand handy, luckily for you we’ve come up with a way for you to avoid the pressure of the purchase. All it takes is 5 minutes, your own inner wisdom, and an open mind!
Being not only the founders of TWOOBS but also a yoga teacher and a meditation teacher respectively, we put our skills to good use, and we’ve created this easy meditation for you to do anytime you feel a pull to make a purchase, so you can ensure you only buy things you truly need, not just ones you’re feeling the FOMO on.
Feel free to record yourself slowly reading this out and then listen back to it, taking a few seconds to break between each line.
Enjoy, and remember to shop like the planet depends on it, because it does!
Jess and Stef xx
- Start by closing down your eyes.
- Pause here and just take a few deeps breaths.
- Now, slowly bring your hands together over your heart.
- Feel your heartbeat, and just pause here and notice what you can feel. Is your heart beating slowly or quickly?
- See if you can slow down your breath.
- Now take a moment to send yourself some love.
- When you’re ready, mentally whisper the following phrases to yourself: I am enough. I am perfect. I don't need anything to complete me. I already have everything I need.
- Now, staying connected to your body, bring the thing to mind that you were thinking of buying, and ask yourself these questions, taking a moment to tune in and really feel into the answers:
- Is this something I really need?
- If I don’t buy this, in 4 weeks time will it matter to me? In 4 months time?
- What else could I do when I open my eyes that would bring me joy?
- When you’re ready, start taking some deeper breaths.
- Begin to wiggle your fingers and toes.
- When you feel ready, slowly open your eyes.
Feel free to repeat the process anytime you want to make another purchase.